Why do people take MSM?
They take MSM to try to relieve pain or swelling from:
- Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis
- Bursitis, tendinitis, or tenosynovitis
- Muscle cramps
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders
- Headaches or hangover
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Inflammation in eyes or mucous membranes
Methylsulfonylmethane, more commonly known as MSM, is a popular dietary supplement used to treat a wide array of symptoms and conditions.
It’s a sulfur-containing compound found naturally in plants, animals and humans. It can also be produced in a lab to create dietary supplements in powder or capsule form.
MSM is widely used in the alternative medicine field and by people looking for a natural way to relieve joint pain, reduce inflammation and boost immunity.
• The Pain Bullet is a custom-blended, all-natural topical pain management solution for both pain sufferers and clinicians alike.
• Our solution began as an in-office remedy for our patients in 2015, meant to improve pain-free movement return to function after injury and has been fine-tuned with patient feedback ever since.
• The Pain Bullet’s standardized formulation now represents the results of feedback from over 8,000 patient exposures over the past 4 years. Using only FDA-approved ingredients, the Pain Bullet is considered generally acceptable and safe for use as indicated.
• The Pain Bullet is considered a synergistic formulation, meaning each active ingredient is meant to increase the efficacy of its peers. In this way, The Pain Bullet can claim its spot amongst the most effective, longest-lasting over the counter topical pain management solution available in the market today.
Can Decrease Joint Pain, Which Could Improve Your Quality of Life
One of the most popular uses of MSM is to decrease joint or muscle pain. It has been shown to benefit those with joint degeneration, a common cause of pain in the knees, back, hands and hips.
Joint degeneration can negatively impact your quality of life by limiting your movement and mobility.
Studies have shown that MSM significantly reduces inflammation in your body. It also inhibits the breakdown of cartilage, a flexible tissue that protects the ends of your bones in joints.
A study in 100 people over the age of 50 found that treatment with a supplement containing 1,200 mg of MSM for 12 weeks decreased pain, stiffness and swelling in the joints, compared to a placebo
The group receiving the supplement also reported improved overall quality of life and less difficulty walking and getting out of bed.
Another study in 32 people with lower back pain found that taking a glucosamine supplement containing MSM significantly reduced lumbar stiffness and pain upon movement, plus greatly increased quality of life (3Trusted Source).
Studies have shown that MSM is effective in reducing joint pain, stiffness and swelling. In doing so, it can improve your quality of life.
Has Anti-Inflammatory Effects, Such as Increasing Glutathione Levels
The anti-inflammatory properties of MSM are well documented by scientific research.
It’s believed that MSM inhibits NF-kB, a protein complex involved in inflammatory responses in your body.
It also reduces the production of cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-ɑ) and interleukin 6 (IL-6), which are signaling proteins linked to systemic inflammation.
Additionally, MSM can increase levels of glutathione, a potent antioxidant produced by your body.
For example, supplementing with MSM significantly reduced inflammation in mice with stomach ulcers by inhibiting the release of inflammatory cytokines including TNF-ɑ and IL-6, as well as increasing glutathione levels.
Another study in 40 physically active men showed that taking 3 grams of MSM before exhaustive exercise decreased the release of inflammatory cytokines and prevented the over-stress of immune cells, compared to a placebo.
MSM may reduce the release of molecules associated with inflammation, such as TNF-ɑ and IL-6, as well as boost levels of the powerful antioxidant glutathione.
Helps Alleviate Arthritis Symptoms by Reducing Pain and Stiffness
Arthritis is a common inflammatory condition that causes pain, stiffness and a reduced range of motion in your joints.
Since MSM has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, it’s often used as a natural alternative to medications to improve arthritis-related symptoms.
A study in 49 people with knee osteoarthritis found that taking 3.4 grams of MSM per day for 12 weeks reduced pain and stiffness and improved physical function, compared to a placebo (12Trusted Source).
Additionally, it can enhance the effectiveness of other common supplements used to treat arthritis such as glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate and boswellic acid.
MSM supplements have been shown to help reduce pain and stiffness in people with arthritis. They may also help improve physical function.